Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 06:19:06 +0000

On 5 Feb 2009, at 05:50, David Ayers wrote:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2004-10/ msg00092.html

I still believe that handling generic handling of exceptions in the
runloop is a dangerously wrong and an implementation detail that we
shouldn't try to be compatible with.  But others may disagree.

Well I agree that it's obviously dangerously wrong ... but I'm not sure that means we shouldn't do it anyway. Pragmatically, it seems like the vast majority of exceptions do not indicate anything very harmful, so continuing is not a problem for those cases, so compatibility might generally make sense.

What we could do is make the behavior selectable (with a user default for instance), and use it as a selling points that we can switch applications over to a 'secure' mode where they won't screw up like Apple ones might.

One more thing to note ... it's not as simple as just looking at the case of catching exceptions in the application's event loop. GNUstep- base is already broken in this way in that it's Apple compatible in catching/logging exceptions inside timers and notification handlers (possibly other places too I guess). This has actually bitten me once ... where an error in a timer meant that we got a huge logfile generated, filling the disc and bringing an entire server down because the process kept running and our monitoring software therefore didn't alert us of the error. In this case, not being Apple compatible would have saved us half an hour of downtime, which is important when you are running 24x7 servers.