Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2009 14:59:50 +0000

On 6 Feb 2009, at 05:33, Gregory Casamento wrote:

What should "NSExceptionMask" be implemented as? SHould it be a boolean that determines if we should allow the application to continue or not?

That is to say
* NSExceptionMask = YES - report all exceptions, but continue anyway...
* NSExceptionMask = NO - current behavior

If so, I have a patch almost ready. I'll submit it to the group prior to committing it since a change that is this important needs to have some amount of consensus.

Looks good to me.  I think I would prefer three options:

1) Crash / go to debugger on uncaught exception.
2) NSLog the exception and continue.
3) Pop up a modal dialog asking the user to choose between the two behaviours.

Option 3 would be useful for debugging. I don't like the current behaviour, since the dialog is non-modal and the app appears to continue for a little while behind it then die, and neither button has ever actually done anything when I've clicked on it...