Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: Allowing Applications to continue after exception...
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2009 07:34:24 +0000

On 5 Feb 2009, at 07:23, Gregory John Casamento wrote:

Richard,

"True. Such applications are fundamentally badly designed/buggy, but it generally doesn't win you any friends to say so."

That could be true, but I don't believe, however, that GNUstep should fail where Cocoa recovers.

I'm sure David's point was that, at the moment, GNUstep limits damage where Cocoa trashes things. It's not at all true to say that GNUstep fails and Cocoa recovers ... more true to say that cocoa hides bugs and often gets away with it.

Anyway, we should implement the NSExceptionMask user default and the issue then becomes irrelevant as we can control which behavior we want for a particular application.