Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r27810 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/NSImage

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: [Gnustep-cvs] r27810 - in /libs/gui/trunk: ChangeLog Source/NSImage.m Source/NSScrollView.m
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2009 23:22:53 -0500

This code is causing an issue on 64 bit systems.   Please see the bug I just entered here:

GC

On Sun, Feb 8, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:
>> Author: rfm
>> Date: Sun Feb  8 12:02:57 2009
>> New Revision: 27810

>> Log:
>> Use proxies for named images so that changes to images are nstantly reflected
>> when you change themes.
>>
>> Modified:
>>     libs/gui/trunk/ChangeLog
>>     libs/gui/trunk/Source/NSImage.m
>
> could you please explain a bit the motivation behind this change? It not
> only gives me warnings when compiling what is worse I don't understand
> the reason for this code when inspecting it.
>
> Is the GSImageProxy a real proxy for a remote image, if so where does
> the remote image come from? And if not what do we gaonby this indirection?
>
> I know that the old code couls lead to problems as an image could never
> be released when it was a named one. Is this what you are trying to improve?

I think, I have figured it out now. The idea is that if any interface
element caches a named image and we reset that image via a theme switch,
then the interface element still holds on to the old image and not just
the reference. And your code changes that, so that changes to named
images have immediate effect. Sorry for taking so long to get it.

Where does such image caching happen in our code, wouldn't it be easier
to remove these places?