Re: GNUstep on DirectFB

From: Lisbon Acid
Subject: Re: GNUstep on DirectFB
Date: Mon, 11 May 2009 14:23:08 -0400

Hello,
It has been a long time since I have been around these parts. I've been working hard as a physical chemist researcher the past months, and as such have been out of the loop regarding the progress of GNUstep and its graphical backends.

A project I have been working on lately, however, and what I'm writing about specifically is a Linux framebuffer based client/server windowing system written in ObjC with the GNUstep foundation libraries. The drawing and compositing of surfaces is done with OpenGL (right now, just offscreen software rendered mesa). The class structure is designed for the GNUstep GUI, and is done in a modular way as to allow for future changes in the display driver, context allocation, opengl library, etc.

I'm curious about the thoughts of those who work on this project regularly. I'm very fond of the GNUstep project, and my aim is to provide an open, accelerated, lightweight graphics backend tailored to the GNUstep framework, rather than adapted to it.