Grand Central

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Grand Central
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 12:07:53 +0100

In case anyone hasn't seen this, Apple have published a few more details about Grand Central:

http://images.apple.com/macosx/technology/docs/GrandCentral_TB_brief_20090608.pdf

There is no API documentation yet, but it seems that it basically spawns a set of threads at different priorities and uses them to run blocks from various queues. Lots of hype, but it doesn't seem to give anything that we can't already do with EtoileThread and clang (we already have an implementation of blocks and an efficient way of passing objects between threads - see ETThread and MKObjectPipe).

The most important improvement is hidden right at the bottom of the document; there is now a queue associated with the main thread, so there is a standard way of running arbitrary code at the end of the next run loop.