Re: Grand Central

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Grand Central
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 13:53:55 +0100

> http://images.apple.com/macosx/technology/docs/GrandCentral_TB_brief_20090608.pdf

Interesting - that ^{ syntax to describe a block is somewhat ugly, and it doesnt
give any deats of how you associate data with a block (which is necessary if
you want to get rid of locks).

It still all looks a bit heavyweight to me - I am still waiting for a
parallelism
model as easy to use as OCCAM ... people really threw the baby out with the
bathwater
there when the transputer died sadly :-(

> There is no API documentation yet, but it seems that it basically
> spawns a set of threads at different priorities and uses them to run
> blocks from various queues.  Lots of hype, but it doesn't seem to give

I can't work out if GCD is supposed to be an extension for OSX or an extension
to Objective-C itself. Obviously the block syntax requiures a language
extension,
but how do the bits fit together from there onward ?

-pete.