Re: Getting reviews and submitting patches

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Getting reviews and submitting patches
Date: Sun, 14 Jun 2009 20:02:44 +0200

Hi Dave,

lookign forward for your patches already!

Dave MacLachlan wrote:
Sorry for the newbie question, but I want to make sure I get it right ;-)
questions like that save hassle... and make sure you get well introduced in this somewhat elitarian group, so ti is good to ask.

I've got a couple of patches that I'd like to submit to gnustep-base. Google has signed off on having them submitted to the project, so the legal steps are taken care of already.

for small stuff there is no need for the FSF stuff, else you need to do that legal stuff.
a) Is there a coding standard for gnustep somewhere that I missed? Right now I'm guessing no.
There is. It is the GNU one. Being objc... it is a mix of "NeXT" tradition in naming the classes and methods and GNU code style. Emacs/xemacs have a good standard style for it. Vim sadly has a not perfectly adherent there.

core stuff like base, gui, back are decent examples to follow. Some of the applications are less.
To sum up
- spaces, not tabs
- two space indent
- braces on new line
- gnu style: for IF, indent the braces, then the block isnide again (so it looks the block is 4 spaces, like most code standards)
- whe have autogsdoc comments
b) How do people normally handle reviews?
there is no formal process. Usually you seek assistance of the maintainer (base- Richard, gui- Fred...) although people try to help in a cooperative way on the list.
Some of the applications currently have no formal maintainer.
c) Anything else I should know before diving into the world of submitting patches?
for small stuff usually it is fine. Before adding dependencies, ask.

A last note, we still are gcc 2.95 compatible so please, avoid c-99isms and some of the known limitations of that compiler. I will try my best to correct them, but if you avoid me the hassle, I'll thank you.

Have fun,
 Riccardo