Re: Changes I've been thinking of...

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: Changes I've been thinking of...
Date: Sat, 10 Oct 2009 10:58:48 +0100

On 9 Oct 2009, at 23:45, Fred Kiefer wrote:

As far as I remember, the text system uses IMP caching at two places. In
GSHorizontalTypesetter and in NSGlyphGenerator. These two are central
parts of the layout system that need to be fast. But of course GNUstep
has changed since the time these bits were written. Perhaps the three
method calls that had been optimized into function calls don't make that much difference any more. At least at the time when the optimisation was
done there were hard figures that suggested this to be worth while.
Do you have any numbers that say so or is this just general ranting
against premature optimisation? The later I support whole heartedly.

Mainly it's a general rant; I haven't looked closely at the text system for a little while, but last time I tried I found it completely incomprehensible and most of the things that were causing that seemed to be microoptimisations on poor algorithms, which could have been offset by using better algorithms.

David

-- Sent from my Difference Engine