Re: Minimalist GNUstep possible?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Minimalist GNUstep possible?
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2010 20:43:19 +0200

Hi,
Thanks for the reply David,

I apologize for my lack of correct terminology - I did mean just
Foundation (as in, NSObject, NSDate, etc.) and .app bundles.

What point do you have in an .app "bundle" if you do not have the GUI app itself and if you want GNUstep to be a ".so"?
The idea that this is sparked off from is basically how one would take
ObjC, in a minimalist form, and port it over to another environment -
equally the same issue if you were to take it from iPhone to desktop
(say Windows/MinGW) or, probably another avenue to be explored next
year, iPhone to Android (if estimates of the Android market overtaking
iPhone stay true).
I think you underestimate the portability and compactness of "Foundation" which is what you are looking for.

Foundation is compact, complete and reliable. It runs on a host of architectures and little resources. I have it working on a 68040 33MHz Motorola... And it runs very well on a MIPS netbook.

The only thing is that its latest incarnation needs fairly modern thread stuff, I could use the older release on a 25Mhz Sparcstation with 32MB of ram easily! THat means the iPhone or iPad have far more resources!
Having done years of C++, I've developed quite a hatred for all things
C++ in nature, and having gone from a strong C++ background to an ObjC
background, I have been absolutely amazed that it hasn't gotten more
wide reception. Either rate, I think one of the issues was that ObjC
was so intertwined to Apple, and GNUstep aims to break that - and this
is a very good thing imho.
I can understand your hate for C++. It is a shame it is so widespread.
So I am trying to leverage the Foundation runtime best I can, but in a
minimalist form as possible - so aiming at a one file .so/.dll is the
goal really. I think that my original question may be a bit off since
what I am really interested in trying to make happen is so that going
through a GORM/GNUmake makefile like system (producing an .app
bundle), while interesting, is not necessarily the avenue wanting to
be took - mainly just pushing out a libobjc.so/.dll and
libnsfoundation.so/.dll would be the most ideal route.

Play with "base", which contains foundation, it is most probably more than enough. You can also playing with its installation domains, like FHS. At the end, a Framework is really a library with a bunch of headers.

Riccardo