Re: Minimalist GNUstep possible?

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Minimalist GNUstep possible?
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2010 14:42:50 +0100

Hi,

So you see no legal impediements in proceeding? No patents, no royalties, no rules in any agreement?

Would you say it is like coming up with a Java implementation 10 - 12 years ago? Did the rules for the Java technology, the JDK, disallow reverse-engineering? If they did, we are OK, and there are several competing “Java” implementations.

Of course, we need only the public APIs specs for our work. But these may be governed by their web site’s terms of use, no. Then is it sufficient to rename the classes with a common project-related prefix?

What bout the SDK rules against reverse-engineering? Do they affect our task? Documents that should be analyzed include the iPhone SDK Agreement and the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement.

But since the XMLVM project has proven that a Java version of Cocoa- Touch is legal, an Objective-C version should be clean as well, no?

There is also an Open-Source project which implements some of the UIKit while only adding a prefix to the file and type names. We have contacted the leader to seek his advice on the legality of the endeavor

Consulting with a lawyer is certainly a good idea, but as far as I know, nobody can stop you implementing a public API from scratch. If your code is written from scratch,
you own the copyright for the new code.  APIs can't be copyrighted.

Quite a number of existing open source projects (Wine, Samba, GNUstep itself, etc) provide alternative, free implementations of APIs which were originally implemented only in proprietary software. None of the original proprietary software companies has ever had any particular luck in stopping these. They usually try to change the APIs
regularly to break compatibility.

If you still feel threatened by the Apple "agreements" you should probably consult a lawyer. But, I haven't signed any agreement and I can find the UIKit API documentation on the public, open Apple web site. You don't need any agreement to get that API. So I don't see what the relevance of the "iPhone SDK Agreement" etc. is to this. It's not like you've been given secret information and you agreed not to reveal it. It's public documentation describing the public interface for programming some computer devices sold in millions or billions of pieces to the general public. I don't really see how this would be any different from, eg, Wine implementing the Windows API to run Windows programs on other operating systems (or implementing programs using the Windows API on other systems), or GNUstep implementing the Cocoa API. These are public APIs and some people of good will (but sometime competitor companies!) wrote alternative implementations. :-)

And there's no need to change the class names. Cross-compatibility is helped if you just use the same class names! :-)

Thanks