Re: [SOLVED] Re: Further problems trying to build GNUstep with blocks/pr

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: [SOLVED] Re: Further problems trying to build GNUstep with blocks/properties support
Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 22:37:11 +0100

On 21 Jun 2010, at 19:37, Thomas Davie wrote:

> On 21 Jun 2010, at 18:21, David Chisnall wrote:
>
> Hi David and everyone,
>
> Just to let you all know, I figured out something that works:
>
> 1) install compiler-rt
> 2) add -lBlocksRuntime to the LDFLAGS.
>
> Not sure if this is the standard solution, but it got me up and running :)

Please do not follow this advice.  The blocks runtime provided by compiler-rt
is incompatible with Objective-C.  The hooks it provides are highly specific to
the NeXT runtime, and so sending a message to a block will cause a crash (as
will storing blocks in collections, using them with any of the higher-order
messaging in EtoileFoundation, and so on).  This is why GNUstep provides its
own.