Re: Keyed archiving and class clusters

From: Thomas Davie
Subject: Re: Keyed archiving and class clusters
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 15:41:31 +0100

On 28 Jun 2010, at 15:37, Richard Frith-Macdonald wrote:

On 28 Jun 2010, at 15:15, Thomas Davie wrote:

Hi all,

From what I understand, GNUstep's keyed archive format is meant to be compatible with Apple's.  However, I'm hitting an issue and I'm not certain if it's the fault of the archiver, or class clusters.

Basically, when an NSMutableSet gets encoded, what really gets encoded is it's concrete subclass, GSMutableSet... When I try to decode this in some code using apple's implementation, it chokes, not having a GSMutableSet class to attempt to init.

Is there any sane way round this, or should I get on with writing my own serialisation methods if I want to send objects back and forth between apple/GNUstep implementations?

It's a bug ... I fixed it in svn trunk.

If you don't want to use trunk,  I expect as a workaround you could add a category to NSMutableSet to override -classForCoder to return [NSMutableSet class]

Thanks a lot, I'll update and use that, is this confirmation then that GNUstep's keyed archive format should in fact be compatible with apple's, or is that still a bit of an assumption?

Thanks

Tom Davie