Re: [bug #30538] X11 backend should generate NSBackTabCharacter for shif

From: Derek Fawcus
Subject: Re: [bug #30538] X11 backend should generate NSBackTabCharacter for shift-tab
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 11:51:08 -0700

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 01:29:54PM +0200, Fred Kiefer wrote:
> Thank you Derek for this additional explanation.

No prob.

Looking at your commit comments,  I do have a question and further suggestion.

    "Also use NSBackTabCharacter on X11 when XK_ISO_Left_Tab is
     pressed, but don't convert shift-tab into NSBackTabCharacter."

Now my patch didn't have any code in back to map shift+XK_Tab to backtab.
However,  I think it would be a good idea.  So why not add it?

It is possible some X installations don't have XK_ISO_Left_Tab,  and (in back)
it is conditional upon XKB support.  At least one VNC server omits XKB support.

Having the back ends do the mapping would also allow it to be removed
from the code in NSBrowser,NSInputManager,NSWindow,NSMatrix which checks
for Tab+shift.