Re: Menu in window

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Menu in window
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2011 15:12:05 -0500

Riccardo,

Unfortunately in order to use native GTK menus our Windows need to be
GtkWindow instances instead of raw XWindow instances as they are now.

The problem with this is two fold:
1) Currently the backend does not take the theme into account... that
is to say... there are no theme specific methods in the backend.   not
that these couldn't be added...  the reason this is important is that
it would be necesary for the backend to return a GtkWindow as
described above.
2) Additionally, since a GTKWindow cannot become an XWindow or vice
versa, it would make it impossible to switch to or from the theme in a
manner which would make it convenient.

So, with those two issues in mind, it's probably better to improve the
existing in-window menus to the point where they are acceptable under
GNOME.

Later, GC

--
Gregory Casamento - GNUstep Lead/Principal Consultant, OLC, Inc.
(240)274-9630 (Cell)