Re: @property coding style

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: @property coding style
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 07:45:21 +0000

On 28 Jan 2012, at 14:57, Stefan Bidi wrote:

> I just want to mention that GNUstep does have it's own extension to the GNU
> coding standard:
> http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/CodingStandards/coding-standards_toc.html
>
> I try to follow it as much as I can, but sometimes I forget.  I find the
> standard sensible and it's advantageous to have all subprojects following the
> same coding style.  Don't forget that this is, after all, a GNU project.

Yes ...  and not following it is a pain ... it means the package maintainer has
to spend their time reformatting the code that's been added, or has to back it
out and ask for the submission to be redone.  It's much better to have code
added in the correct format to start with.

For myself, I find occasional minor style deviations are not a problem as I can
fix them while reviewing code changes, without wasting time... so I think
nobody is going to worry about occasional mistakes in formatting,  but large
chunks of code in a non-standard style are really the originators job to fix.