Re: Cenon 4 with latest GNUstep and 64 bit

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Cenon 4 with latest GNUstep and 64 bit
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 22:16:03 +0200

On 14.04.2013 04:09, Germán A. Arias wrote:
El sáb, 13-04-2013 a las 10:56 +0200, Fred Kiefer escribió:

I would expect that this issue isn't related to Cenon. The line in NSBox
that causes this is:

          NSSize borderSize = [theme sizeForBorderType: _border_type];

I would expect that it is the specific theme you are using that is
causing the problem. Most likely the theme still uses a wrong signature
for the sizeForBorderType: method and the runtime detects this and tries
to do some magic in the background, but falls over its own feet for what
ever reason. I would suggest to recompile the theme and fix any compiler
warnings you see in that process.
As for the runtime issue, somebody has to come up with an idea what the
signature "@\005\233" is supposed to mean and why it crashes the runtime.

Hope this helps,
Fred

This is with default theme. And this is a fresh GNUstep installation
after upgrade my system some days ago. I add:

NSLog(GSStringFromBorderType(aType));

in NSBox at method -setBorderType: to see the type of border. When compile I
get:

  Compiling file NSBox.m ...
NSBox.m: In function '-[NSBox setBorderType:]':
NSBox.m:130:3: warning: implicit declaration of function
'GSStringFromBorderType' [-Wimplicit-function-declaration]
NSBox.m:130:3: warning: passing argument 1 of 'NSLog' makes pointer from
integer without a cast [enabled by default]
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Headers/Foundation/NSObjCRuntime.h:146:18: note:
expected 'struct NSString *' but argument is of type 'int'
  Linking library libgnustep-gui ...

Why? This function is declared in GSTheme.h that is included in NSBox.m.

Your compiler is correct here. GSStringFromBorderType isn't defined in Header/Additions/GNUstepGUI/GSTheme.h instead it is in Source/GSThemePrivate.h and this file isn't normally included by NSBox.

If I launch Cenon I get:

address@hidden:~$ openapp Cenon
2013-04-13 20:09:07.657 Cenon[21985] NSGrooveBorder

Here you can see that the function works anyway and yields some sensible result.

unknown type �

This is where the error happens, but where does this message come from?

�Aborted

Your back trace stopped at the NSBox call, that makes it hard to predict what you where doing when the error happened. I just compiled Cenon 4.0.2 myself and started it up and it seems to work on my machine.