Re: make error in base on Solaris

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: make error in base on Solaris
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:22:46 +0200

> Am 18.10.2019 um 10:36 schrieb Richard Frith-Macdonald <address@hidden>:

> The idea here (explained in the commnt) is to avoid lengthy unnecessary
> reconfigurations:
>
> # If the generated makefiles are present but their prerequisites have
> # changed, let config.status regenerate them.  This is much faster and
> # equally safe than running configure again, provided that configure
> # has not been modified.
>
> So the choice here is to do a full (slow) configure if the version has
> changed, but otherwise do a fast reconfigure, and it looks like a good idea
> (saving quite a bit of time).

The idea is good, but it sounds to me like you would want to express that via
Makefile rules.
In my own projects I'm using something like
  config.status: configure
    ./config.status: $(srcdir)/configure
    ./config.status

  config.make: $(srcdir)/config.make.in config.status
    ./config.status $@

The first rule make sure that config.status is rebuilt from configure and that
it updates all dependent files when config.status is out of date with regard to
the configure script.
The second just rebuilds config.make when its input has changed.

This has worked well for me (not only on GNU make, it works at least for BSDs
and a SysV make from Solaris).

Wolfgang