Re: runtime inclusion, issues

From: Wolfgang Lux
Subject: Re: runtime inclusion, issues
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2019 11:27:47 +0200

> Am 18.10.2019 um 07:52 schrieb Riccardo Mottola via Gnustep-dev
> <address@hidden>:
>
> Hi,
>
> supporting Mac, gnustep, gcc and clang is a small challenge :-P But I like to
> do it.
>
> For selector issues, some time ago in Graphos I added this:
>
> #if !defined (GNUSTEP) &&  (MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED <=
> MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_4)
> #define sel_isEqual(selector1, selector2) (selector1 ==  selector2)
> #else
> #include <objc/runtime.h>
> #endif
>

> fine it looks! but... today I am compiling on an older NetBSD system (SPARC)
> and there is no objc/runtime.h and am using GCC with its supplied runtime.
>
> similar differences in runtime bite me also in OpenBSD.
>
> Any suggestions?

I seem to recall that we had this discussion already a while ago in another
context. The problem is that older versions of gcc (somewhen before 4.x where x
is something between 4 and 7 -- I don't recall the exact number) ship without
the compatibility files for the new runtime, which includes objc/runtime.h
among others.
You might want to solve this by installing a newer version of GNU C from the
NetBSD/OpenBSD ports. Or otherwise, you would need to modify the condition
!defined (GNUSTEP) &&  (MAC_OS_X_VERSION_MAX_ALLOWED <= MAC_OS_X_VERSION_10_4)
to also cover the case where you are using an older version of gcc.

Wolfgang