Re: crash when using local display but not remote

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: crash when using local display but not remote
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2020 00:04:23 +0100

> Am 02.02.2020 um 21:38 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>:
>
> On 1/28/20 11:28 AM, Sergii Stoian wrote:
>>
>> I'm not sure, just an idea: this problem may have relation to enabled
>> multithreading in X11. Probably due to outdated X server.
>> Could you please try to comment out line in x11/XGServer.m that contains
>> XInitThreads() (line 419) and recompile/reinstall backend?
>

> I was able to restrict the offending breakage.
>
> As of 14 September (version bump) everything worked fine on the Letux400
> MIPS-LE
>
> As of 13 January it is already broken
>
> As of 14 January it is still broken giving the memory error on startup. (I
> include obviously the minor ALPHA_THRESHOLD fix)
>

> I'm a little bit confused with the commits of 13th and 14th January, since
> they seem to contain similar things!

These are all different commits that belong to the same pull request and at the
end the branch gets merged. What you see are the single commits plus the final
merge.

> Somehow, however in the "fixes" for the icon there appears to be a memory
> issue!

This is really hard to tell. Do you have a stack trace or any other analysis of
the issue? Perhaps scattering log statements in the changed functions might
help to narrow it down a bit.

I just ran a quick scan with valgrind and this did not detect any obvious wrong
memory access. Looking at the code once again I see that line 4276 may be wrong
for certain bytesPerRow values. Here the old code that copied over line by line
is safer. Maybe we could check bytesPerRow versus pixelsWide*4 and use the old
code if they are not the same?

But there are also other possible causes. If your old Letux uses indexed
colours the old code for _createAppIconPixmaps would be required.