Re: crash when using local display but not remote

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: crash when using local display but not remote
Date: Sat, 8 Feb 2020 19:05:08 +0100

> Am 08.02.2020 um 12:50 schrieb Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>:
>
> On 07/02/2020 10:20, Fred Kiefer wrote:
>> I just committed a merge of the two approaches (plus a few compiler warning
>> fixes). I hope this should fix Riccardo's issues. It might also be slightly
>> faster as I removed the copy before the colour swap. At least the swapColor
>> function now does what the comment above it claims:-)
>
> Thanks for the work and analysis. Unfortunately it still doesn't work for me.
>
> I grabbed latest trunk it contains your commit plus a later merge+commit by
> Sergii.
>
> Maybe it has to do with the fact that this is not a "DirectColor" display but
> a "TrueColor" display? I remember reading a comment by you that indexed color
> would not work.
>
> This small display is TrueColor 16 planes.
>
> Or does indexedColor for you means old 256 color - 8 bit? I hope we did not
> break that too, for old machines :-P

It is rather the later and that would also only change for the application
icon. We should instead concentrate on the crash you are having on the Letux.
You wrote that the version from  September 14th works fine. Does this version
also show the message „Xlib:  extension "SYNC" missing on display ":0.0“.“? If
it does we may ignore this hint, otherwise it might be worthwhile to follow.

With all the latest changes could you please try again and report the stack
trace you are getting? It would also help if you could find out which code is
crashing. For this you could start by getting the normal debug output from the
backend (—GNU-Debug=Dflt,XGTrace,Frame) and after you have the general region
just add a few NSLog statements of your own.

The original message you posted (glibc detected *** double free or corruption
(out)) points to a free call. We have plenty of these, but this might be a hint
when you are getting closer.