Re: Next GNUstep release

From: Gregory Casamento
Subject: Re: Next GNUstep release
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2020 04:00:16 -0500

Fred,

On Tue, Feb 11, 2020 at 3:08 AM Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear GNUsteppers,

I would like to schedule a shared new release for the core GNUstep packages (make, base, gui, back) around the end of March. We have a lot of excellent new features and it would be great to bring those out to more distributions and users. We are a bit later than in previous years still we should leave us enough time to prepare that release. I hope that it is possible to merge the Wayland branch before. (And yes, I still didn’t get around to review that. Sorry) And to give other new features like the multi monitor support a bit more testing and polishing. But I would suggest that we do not start or merge other big features during that time. (Smaller changes like the ones Greg is working in gui on should be fine) Any objections?

No objections from me.  I was thinking recently about releasing, so this is good timing.  I am currently working on the following things:

* NSSpeechRecognizer (nearly done, working)
  branch: NSSpeechRecognizer_branch
* NSFontCollection (about halfway done as I now sort of understand how it works)
  branch: NSFontCollection_branch
* NSStoryboard/NSStoryboardSegue (just started, but I understand fully what they do)
  branch: NSStoryboard_branch

From now to the end of march is plenty of time to finish all of these for me, so, as long as they all pass review by then, I'm fine.

And most importantly, Ivan will you have time to cut all these releases? Of course we could move that point around a week or two if that date fits better.

Fred

Yours, GC

--
Gregory Casamento