Re: Multimonitor support

From: Johannes Brakensiek
Subject: Re: Multimonitor support
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2020 23:23:01 +0100

Hello,

Am 08.02.20 um 16:09 schrieb Fred Kiefer:
lease feel free to test what did improve for your laptop setup.
As I wrote we expect that this get better for everybody. Maybe after a short
hiccup phase in the beginning. I already had to commit a small fix for Sergii’s
changes. But as I don’t have a multi monitor setup, I won’t see any of the
benefits.

What should be tested now is for example centering a window on a screen. This
should only take the current monitor into account not the complete virtual
screen.

I was really looking forward for these changes and wanted to test them.

I don't know if this is the right place to report issues, but for me multi monitor support seems to not work as expected.

I compiled and installed libs-gui and libs-back from latest git master.

I have a second screen on the right of my main screen. This screen is smaller than the main screen and it is positioned a little below the main screen.

When I open an app, GWorkspace fe., the app icon is placed outside of the view of the main screen (due to the fact that the virtual screen is a little bit greater because the second screen is placed below the first). This just behaves as I was used to it: When I place both screens at the same level next to each other the app icon is shown.

The same happens to the app menu when you use macOS menu style. If the left screen is placed lower than the right screen I won't see the parts of the menu which contain the clickable items, because they are placed outside of the view of the left screen.

Same applies to dialogs (fe. when I quit GWorkspace): They are not centered in relation to the sizes of the current monitor but are placed far right - at the center of the virtual screen.

Is there anything I have to do to make the new changes take effect?

I'm using Ubuntu Mate 19.10.

$ X -version

X.Org X Server 1.20.5
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: Linux 4.4.0-165-generic x86_64 Ubuntu
Current Operating System: Linux 5.3.0-29-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP Fri Jan 17 17:27:26 UTC 2020 x86_64 Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-5.3.0-29-generic processor.max_cstate=2 vt.handoff=7
Build Date: 08 October 2019  09:43:30AM
xorg-server 2:1.20.5+git20191008-0ubuntu1 (For technical support please see http://www.ubuntu.com/support)
Current version of pixman: 0.38.4

Thank you for your support