gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] Questions, questions

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Questions, questions
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 14:31:49 -0500

Biagio Lucini wrote:
On Sat, 20 Mar 2004, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:
3) Did we ever make a decision on the fudnamental threading model; i.e.,
how we were going to abstract threads such that different
implementations (pthreads, NPTL) can be "plugged in" to OpenMP?

Not as far as I can tell. The possible points of view are
a) target only Linux
b) target all architectures supported by gcc

This choice may also be dictated by the equipment available to developers. I'm running three OpenMP-capable machines (Opteron, HT P4, dual P3), all running Linux (although the dual P3 could run anything, I guess, being a scratch machine.)

I have no idea of anyone is interested in OpenMP under Cygwin or MingW on Windows.

From a practical standpoint, pthreads would seem to be the most universal option. I should also take a look at how the Boost thread libraries handle this.

Perhaps we can create a configuration model akin to the current --enable-threads setting, perhaps choosing an implementation based on that setting. Of course, that requires more work... but support for inclusion in GCC mainline is important, I think.

I think this is a matter that deserve a vote :-)

I live in Florida; we vote, but judges make the final decisions. ;)

--
Scott Robert Ladd