gomp-discuss

Re: [Gomp-discuss] GOMP Requirements v1.1

From: Ioannis E. Venetis
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] GOMP Requirements v1.1
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2004 16:12:54 +0200

The real question is: Does GCC care about being competitive in terms of
performance? If intellectual freedom is the only goal, then we can by
all means approach this from a generic perspective. If we want a
compiler than is a practical alternative to commercial products, we need
to concern ourselves with performance issues.

The generic approach does not preclude OpenMP performance.  I think if
you would examine the commercial implementations, they go for a
generic approach. They hide the details of using LWP (lightweight
processes), SPROCS, threads, or whatever threading model in the
support routines.

Thank you Ross, this was exactly what I was also trying to say, but probably my wording was really bad :-)

> The user may have no choice of the threading model
> but the threading model is not in the generated user's code.  It is in
> the library.

And this is my proposal. Give the user the chance to select even the threading model, through it's own library.

Ioannis