gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Half the port problems are solved; seeking help with RTCM

From: Bernd Zeimetz
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Half the port problems are solved; seeking help with RTCM2 driver
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2012 21:28:16 +0200

On 04/21/2012 07:42 AM, Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> Bernd Zeimetz <address@hidden>:
>> Almost all architectures have built the new gpsd upload now. Indeed the
>> italk/trimble and ublox issues are fixed and the najoks + rtcm2 tests still
>> fail.
>
> As I expected.
>
> According to your log, we now have failure only on s390, s390x, and sparc.
> I guess that means there are big-endian machines on which the RTCM2 driver
> is working as expected?  (It would be helpful if I had a complete list of the
> architectures on which regression tests are passing.)

I've pushed a change to devtools/gpsd-debian-regressions.sh to make it print the
architectures where no tests failed. Currently it prints

armel: no regressions
armhf: no regressions
hurd-i386: no regressions
i386: no regressions
ia64: no regressions
kfreebsd-amd64: no regressions
kfreebsd-i386: no regressions
powerpc: no regressions
ppc64: no regressions

On mips all tests failed, I think it just failed to open a pty. Why that is the
case is something I need to figure out and work around with the next upload. It
would be nice if the regress-driver would just fail if there is a pty issue
instead of spitting out a  lot of diffs.

> If so, that is good news.  It means the big-endian version of the weird
> structure-overlay hack I used is working.  In turn, that means that
> the only failures are machines for which the compilers ignore #pragma pack(1).
>
> I know in a general way how to fix this, but the details will be ugly
> and difficult.

Where ever the issue is, it doesn't seem to be related to endianess issues.
Sparc, s390 and s390x (the 64bit s390 port) seem to be the only architectures
with issues so far.

As you can see on
http://buildd.debian-ports.org/status/package.php?p=gpsd&suite=sid
we even have some really exotic unofficial architectures - unfortunately not all
build-dependencies are available there. If there is an interest in making gpsd
build on one of the listed architectures, please let me know (I think the main
issue is QT not being available...).