gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO

From: Hal Murray
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Clarifications needed for the time-service HOWTO
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2013 09:56:36 -0700

address@hidden said:
> Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
>>> On Linux, things like
>>>   cat /sys/class/pps/pps0/assert
>>> will give you things like:
>>>   1382242063.999995003#2900635
>>> The stuff after the # is a counter.  The stuff before it is a
>>> timestamp. Looks like this box is off by 5 microseconds.

>> That is not RFC 2783, that is linux specific.  gpsd does NOT use that
>> at this time.

> Should it?

It's Linux only.  There is no external documentation to reference it so it's
probably more likely to change than most APIs.  But I don't see any changes
in sight.

I was thinking of a debugging aid.  On the other hand, if it solves some of
the privilege problems, it might be useful.

How well do USB devices work with gpsd on non-Linux systems when they get
plugged/unplugged on the fly?

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.