gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Possible error report

From: Sanjeev Gupta
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Possible error report
Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2013 17:47:30 +0800

On Fri, Nov 8, 2013 at 12:04 PM, Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> wrote:
Sanjeev Gupta <address@hidden>:
> My reason for getting a GR601-W, and trying to run git head, was to use the
> new gpsmon feature that indicates if 1PP is working.  Is there a
> replacement for gpsmon that can provide a quick check?

The flapping only affects the reporting panels at the top of the
screen; it doesn't affect the PPS display, which is in the packet
window.  Look for lines scrolling by in the packet window that look
like this:

----------------------------------- PPS ------------------------------------

I built gpsd from git, and ran it on my production box, which has a device:
http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=99

I believe it is a MTK chip.  It is detected as "Generic NMEA" currently.

Running the git gpsd, and the git gpsmon, does not show any PPS lines

Please see:
  1. gpsd-3.10.txt : This is the output of gpsd.  Even at D 5, I see no PPS messages
  2. gpsmon-3.10.txt : This is the output of gpsmon.  Note no PPS lines
  3. gpsd-ntp.txt : And yet, PPS _is_ working.

Again, this is on a device connected via Serial port, no USB.

--
Sanjeev Gupta
+65 98551208     http://www.linkedin.com/in/ghane