gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RPATH makes my head hurt

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RPATH makes my head hurt
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2013 13:49:36 -0800

Yo Mike!

On Sat, 7 Dec 2013 00:43:26 -0500
Mike Frysinger <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Friday 06 December 2013 14:02:16 Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > On Thu,  5 Dec 2013 23:19:46 -0500 Eric S. Raymond wrote:
> > > being autotools-like - default the installation path to /usr
> > > rather than /usr/local
> >
> > That would violate the Unix File System Standard
>
> wtf is that ?
>
> autotools is a portable build system that has been around for more
> than 2 decades and has no problem defaulting to /usr/local.

Correct, just as I, and the FHS say it should.

>  people
> on every imaginable *nix system (and more) have used it with that
> default.

Yes, and I agree with that.  The default is /usr/local.  But no distro
maintainer does, they put things in /usr.

> i'm not saying i care one way or the other wrt /usr vs /usr/local
> default (as any reasonable distro will simply override it), but
> at least don't just make random stuff up when trying to defend a
> position. -mike

I suggesst you actually read the standard before you doubt what it says.

Unix Filesystem Hierarchical Standard Versiom 2.3:
    http://www.pathname.com/fhs/pub/fhs-2.3.html

    /usr/local : Local hierarchy
    Purpose

    The /usr/local hierarchy is for use by the system administrator
    when installing software locally. It needs to be safe from being
    overwritten when the system software is updated. It may be used for
    programs and data that are shareable amongst a group of hosts, but
    not found in /usr.

    Locally installed software must be placed within /usr/local rather
    than /usr unless it is being installed to replace or upgrade
    software in /usr.

Or in the simplified Wikepedia version:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Filesystem_Hierarchy_Standard

    "Many modern UNIX systems[which?] install third party packages into
    /usr/local while keeping locally developed code in /usr."

Since gpsd is 3rd party, not distributed by the distro, it belongs in
/usr/local (unless the user knows he is replacing a system gpsd).

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588