gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] RPATH makes my head hurt

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] RPATH makes my head hurt
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2013 20:11:33 -0500

address@hidden (Eric S. Raymond) writes:

> One possible way to cut this Gordian knot would be to give up on
> being autotools-like - default the installation path to /usr rather
> than /usr/local

That blurs too things.  One is the default prefix, and the other is the
function that says "add RPATH, or don't, as a a function of prefix".
The question of what to do when prefix is /usr/local has nothing to do
with whether it's default.

While auto* has a default of /usr/local, it's more that auto* does that
because it's standard behavior, and thus gpsd should too, rather than
that gpsd should match auto*.

It seems that every system agrees that /usr/lib doesn't need RPATH, and
that aside for /usr/local, RPATH is in order (except maybe on Debian),
and the real question is /usr/local.

> Then Miroslav Lichvar said:
>>I agree with the other replies. Unless /usr/local/lib is found in the
>>ld.so config, it shouldn't be in that list. From the Debian RPATH
>>page, it seems that's what libtool does.

Mirroring libtool sounds good, because it's been adjusted to do what a
big argument resulted in.

>>As a Fedora packager, however, I'd like to see /lib64 and /usr/lib64
>>included in that list.
>
> But the idea of embedding (more) distro-dependent logic in the
> recipe does not thrill me.

Agreed, but an out is to have
--dirs-not-to-add-rpath-for=/lib64,/usr/lib64 for people to use on
Fedeora.

> 1. Revert to the status quo ante.  /usr/local/lib gets removed from
> the list of exception paths. Our default GNU-like /usr/local
> indstallation results in RPATH being set in the binaries.

That sounds good to me.

> 2. We give up on trying to be GNU-like and default the installation
> prefix to /usr rather than /usr/local.

That's not just GNU-like, it's heavily linux-distribution-biased, and
it's also likely to install in a system path in appropriately.  Even on
Linux, people compiling programs by hand should not be writing to /usr.
On most systems, /usr/local is appropriate.  The only exception is
FreeBSD, but that's FreeBSD's fault for using /usr/local as the path for
their packaging system.  And there, people either know how to deal, or
it's hopeless.