gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] buzzkill is gone, please re-test

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] buzzkill is gone, please re-test
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2015 15:02:26 -0800

Yo Eric!

On Thu, 29 Jan 2015 17:42:51 -0500
"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Let's see if this change fixes the pending problem (the occasional
> data loss Hal is reporting) first.  If not, I may back it out - no
> point in adding latency to no good purpose.

Strangely I am now seeing LESS latency.  Likely the new more efficient
reads are also faster

> Besides, I'm not sure you're right about this, and if you are the
> Time Service HOWTO needs a fix.

Always room for improvement.

>  I thought the fudge was supposed to
> be the offset between time of the received PPS pulse and actual top
> of second.

That is ONE fudge.  The other fudge is the offset between the time of
the received first message of the second and the actual top of the
second.

Unimportant if you have PPS, but the only way to get good time without PPS.

> Please check to see if the fudge value is actually disturbed, too.

It is, and strangely for the better.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588