gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] 'scons install' fails on Mac OS X 10.10

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] 'scons install' fails on Mac OS X 10.10
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 03:36:38 -0500

Frank Nicholas <address@hidden>:
> I dug out an old Bluetooth GPS receiver (GlobalSAT BT-318, Sirf III) to play
> with.  gpsd seems to build Ok, but ‘scons install’ produces the output below.
>  I end up with a partially installed gpsd.  I’m glad to test any ideas anyone
> has.  Just let me know.

Looks like your strip utility coughed up a hairball related somehow to
dynamic linking.

I don't know enough about the Mac toolchain to have any useful theory
about why.  But I will note that the core dumps I saw from gpsdecode
when testing remotely on your OS X machine also seemed to have
something to do with dynamic linking.  I got gsdecode to run - once -
by forcong static linking, but the could not reproduce it.

You might want to compare notes with Greg Troxel, since his Mac OS X
machine does not seem to have these issues.