gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] PTP

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] PTP
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2015 00:35:11 -0500

Gary E. Miller <address@hidden>:
> So, before I forgot what I did, and before 3.12 ships, I added a new
> section to the gpsd-time-service-howto.txt called:
>        == Providing local NTP service ==
>
> All the required steps are there in condensed form.  It may even make
> sense to me in the morning.  It needs a lot of love and I'll try to add
> it as I gain experience with it.  No doubt Eric and others will pick it
> to pieces and thus make it a better document.  Please let the picking
> begin.

*Gasp!*

Someone besides me is *documenting*?  On their own?  Without me
pushing from behind?

...I'm not sure I can take the shock.

:-)

Seriously, it looks really good, Gary.  Thanks a lot.

A related task for the next development cycle: We now have two different
calibration procedures in the Tine Service HOWTO. One was written by Gary
and is based on peerstats; the other by Sanjeev Gupta and is based on
loopstats.

Can these be merged? How do we know which is appropriate to use when?
What could we build in the way of tools and visualization aids to make
the calibration process less annoying?

(I've added this to TODO.)