gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Updated docs on NTP segment management
Date: Sat, 7 Mar 2015 12:48:31 -0800

Yo Harlan!

On Sat, 07 Mar 2015 20:37:11 +0000
Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> wrote:

> "Gary E. Miller" writes:
> > Harlan Stenn <address@hidden> wrote:
> >
> > > Your patch uses clock_gettime() to get the time for the tvc
> > > structure.
> >
> > Eric supplies an alternate clock_gettime() for OS that do not have
> > it, or that name it something else.
>
> Where is this?  I'm not seeing it in the gpsd repo.

    clock_gettime.c

> > Other than Windows I think the portablility fallback is now known
> > good.
>
> Not to the breadth of machines that NTP runs on.

Easy to fix.  Got any off the top of you head?

> I've also got a report of clock_gettime() not being present on some
> Mac OSX releases.

Known issue, already fixed in clock_gettime.c

> I see gpsutils.c has a timestamp() function that will use
> clock_gettime() if it's available, and gettimeofday() otherwise.

Not any more.

Do you have a recent git head?

> > Also gspd has had a history of developers taking low resolution
> > time and later using it in high resolution contexts.  Put another
> > way, a lot of speccial caing to fit the exact precision needs has
> > been problematic, so we have been moving to just always doing
> > things in the most precise way.
>
> This is all good, and it's not in the git repo I have on my machine.
> My repo says it's up to date.

Odd, I see it just fine.

> And to do what you ask will require a major overhaul a short period of
> time before a patch release to our -stable branch.

Hmm, we are on the gpsd list.  We are talking about gpsd, right?

> So at this moment I'm inclined to take the easy way out and get our
> code running on lots of platforms again, knowing we can do something
> with a local replacement for clock_gettime() down the road.

We must have our wires crossed some how...  That code is runnning fine
and portably on gpsd.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1(541)382-8588