gpsd-dev

[gpsd-dev] Refclock cleanup

From: Hal Murray
Subject: [gpsd-dev] Refclock cleanup
Date: Thu, 05 May 2016 13:34:40 -0700

address@hidden said:
> I think we are mostly in agreement.  Short term we need #20, long term it is
> cruft.

I'm not sure I'd call it "cruft", but I'll be happy to use it as a test case
if/when we come up with the great refclock cleanup.

> In the very long term, I'd like to see the gpsd NMEA parser as a module that
> can be standalone for use with ntpd.

That's not good enough.  When you are trying to debug, tune, or monitor things,
you need a lot of logging that isn't part of the gpsd culture.

> I see a trend in GPS to emit basic NMEA, and move the fun stuff into
> proprietary and binary.  Since ntpd only needs the basic NMEA it need not
> have the bulk of gpsd's drivers.

Some of the fun stuff may be interesting to log/monitor.

--
These are my opinions.  I hate spam.