gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] refclock 28 gone wacky on me

From: Mike
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] refclock 28 gone wacky on me
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:25:05 -0400

On 06/09/2016 11:38 PM, Gary E. Miller wrote:
Yo Mike!

On Thu, 9 Jun 2016 22:25:54 -0400
Mike <address@hidden> wrote:

What I fail to understand is why this just seems to have
appeared out of thin air.  It's not like I just hooked this up
yesterday.  I have toyed with this thing for probably three years off
and on, never had anything like the offset I'm seeing.  Of course
there is no saved data from times when it was running well.
My guess is it depends on the initial conditions.  Jiggle the system
clock 1/2 second forward and back, restart gpsd a few times and
you may see it come and go.

You said you had used the HOWTO, I assume you updated gpsd from git.
Maybe it is recently broken in git.

Let me ponder this a while, and see if I can come up with a patch.  I'll
need to study the code taking into account this new, and unexpected,
data.

RGDS
GARY
I'll experiment with that later and see what I can see. Yes, gpsd is a very recent git pull, Sat. (4/6/16) if memory serves.

Right now I finally got it hooked to a Windows machine, used the POS software that is reportedly for this specific module. I found a setting that sets the NMEA messages to be sent at the top of the second. This gets me back closer to what I seen in the past.

*127.127.28.1    .PPS.            0 l   15   16  377    0.000 0.088   0.008
-127.127.28.0 .GPS. 0 l 14 16 377 0.000 116.808 0.035

I know they will both settle in better, experience tells me leave it be for at least a few hours. Ultimately I can now log statistics and fine tune the fudge factor on NMEA to be much better.

Thanks

Mike