gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] 'status' field in TPV JSON to include DGPS and RTK soluti

From: Max Schulze
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] 'status' field in TPV JSON to include DGPS and RTK solution indicators
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2016 00:37:08 +0200

Hey Gary,

I totally respect the choices you make, just let me maybe clarify the
use cases, as I consider them to be more generic than vendor-specific.

As I do get it, statuses 1 is for normal gps, 2 is when you use a
wide-area augmentation systems (SBAS via satellite) that lets you do
differential gps, and for 4,5 you need an earth-bound base-station (then
comes the distance to the base-station into play, the base vector) and
lets you do another, more-precise form of DGPS, either with fixed or
float integers.
> Sadly, GGA is not evern very common, or even standardized.  Which is why
> gpsd tries to abstract all the variants into something mostly
> consistent.
>
> And RTK is essentially identical to DGPS, so I just lumped them in
> together.  The data fields are identical.
On the internet I found the NMEA 0183 Standard V3.01 and V4.0 (searching
for its exact title: "National Marine Electronics Association NMEA 0183
Standard" ;-) ) that does indeed specify all these indicators.

Regards,

Max