gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CEP(50) 0.285 metersMime-Version: 1.0

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘CEP(50) 0.285 metersMime-Version: 1.0
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:49:09 -0700

Yo Hal!

On Fri, 22 Jul 2016 13:21:03 -0700
Hal Murray <address@hidden> wrote:

> There are two tails/trails wandering out of the circles.  One to the
> NW and one to the NE.  There is also an interesting track in the SW.

Yeah, interesting, but inscrutable.  I expect the infrequent way out
of bounds fixes.  I find that pretty normal.  The jump from CEP(50) to
CEP(90) is what strikes me as odd.

Just a WAG, maybe there is a delay in the base sending corrections the
rover.

> Can you see any pattern associated with them?  Did they start or end
> when a satellite was added or dropped?

Not yet.

> Can you plot things using color to show the number of satellites?  Or
> some quality indication?

Pretty much the whole time I had 12 sats in view and in use.

It is gpsprof, so I guess anything is possible.  I doubt the scatter
plot is the way to dig at the individual wanders.

My main attack for a while will we be in geting the numeric precision
solid.  Calculating things to about 11 significant decimal digits is
harder than it looks.  A 64 bit long is only about 10 decimal digits.

For example, my longitude is 121.314064921W, but a long can only
hold 2147483647.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588