gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘3.18 release soon
Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2018 18:43:40 -0700

Yo teyrana!

On Tue, 2 Oct 2018 21:18:04 -0400
teyrana <address@hidden> wrote:

>  If someone were to mention more specifically what they'd like to see
> the python client do, I (or another motivated soul) could take a look
> at it...

Gonna be a big job.  The C client checks all the JSON classes for
completeness and correctness.  For example, a missing JSON field
will be replaced with a default value.  Also out of bounds values are
fixed.

The Python client does no checks. it just mushes a JSON sentance into
a big Python variable.  No validity checking, no missing fields fixed,
etc.

The C client uses a generic validator function, fed with templates for
each JSON message.  Initially harder than a simple procedural parser,
Once running it is very robust and easy to tweak.

A smaller, but useful, project that also needs doing is converting all
the time_t (double) and timeval (usec) to timespec (nsec).  That could
be done one small step at a time.

Other big projects for this cycle could be:

Handling mutifrequency GNSS (B1, E1, L1, L2, B3, L3, L5, L2C, E5, E6,
etc.)

Handling raw measurements, like UBX-RXM-RAW.  With an uploader for
postprocessing.

u-blox IMU (UBX-ESF-RAW) and qErr (UBX-TIM-TP) support.

Adding a sample Go client (gpspipe -> pytogo -> Go ?).

Maybe an RTCM3 or RAW message forwarder.

Maybe webgps.py could be moved out of contrib.

Or??

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588