gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, update

From: Fred Wright
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] Fw: [gpsd-commit-watch] [SCM] GPSD branch, master, updated. dev-3.19a-435-g7fc42e4
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2019 13:48:22 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 28 Mar 2019, Gary E. Miller wrote:

Thanks for the ubxtool patches!  As you correctly note, it is a very
young tool.  Many things were just thrown together and could be much
improved.  More to come when I get a u-blox 9.

One comment:

   Note that the baud rate is only applicable to the UART port, so
   there's no point in applying this to the -S option.

Newer u-blox may have two serial ports.  So in some cases it would
need to apply to the -S as well.

I considered that possibility, but as yet there's no readily available documentation covering such receivers. In particular, if any protocol documentation for the 9 series exists at all, it's not published on their website.

I wouldn't be surprised if port ID 2 is for a second UART port, but it's not yet documented. It would be easy enough to add that.

I sometimes see "reserved" values in the USB port which look suspiciously like the flags and baud rate for a UART port. I suspect that this is due to GPSD itself indiscriminately setting them. It's technically illegal to send nonzero values for reserved fields, but what the receiver appears to do in this case is just set and echo the values, while probably completely ignoring them internally. This is one of a few "not new" GPSD UBX-related bugs that I'll probably look at after chasing the new bug I reported earlier.

Fred Wright