gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] featuretest macros

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] featuretest macros
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2019 10:30:29 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 08:55:34 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> >> I think strictly it needs PRIu32 as detailed here
> >
> > PRIu32 requires feature defines.  I thought we were trying to get
> > rid of those.
>
> I had the impression C99 specifies PRIu32, and that with posix since
> 2004ish, they were not optional.   I guess the question is what the
> base level of C and POSIX is; I thought we were more trying to get
> rid of defining feature macros unnecessarily, than to change gpsd to
> use less than C99/posix (or perhaps C90/posix).

From the Linux man page:

"Applications shall define the appropriate feature test macro (see the
System Interfaces volume of POSIX.1‐2008, Section 2.2, The Compilation
Environment) to enable the visibility of these symbols in this header."

OTOH, osX does not say anything similar.

Section 2.2 asys:

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/functions/V2_chap02.html#tag_15_02

"The _POSIX_C_SOURCE Feature Test Macro"

"A POSIX-conforming application shall ensure that the feature test macro
_POSIX_C_SOURCE is defined before inclusion of any header."

I so not see any way to ensure it, other than to define it.

Since this is tangled uup in the feature test macro stuff let us table it
until ofter 3.19.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588