gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd - AT command control on modems

From: Paul Fertser
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] gpsd - AT command control on modems
Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2019 09:36:22 +0300

Hey Gary,

On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 05:08:31PM -0700, Gary E. Miller wrote:
> > sorry for not replying earlier but I didn't get your reply (or any of
> > the other replies here) into my inbox, so I just now accidentally saw
> > in the webinterface that there have been replies. I'm not subscribed
> > to the list, so maybe you used "Reply" instead of "Reply all" ?
>
> I don't do private consults, except to paying clients.  So all
> my replies will be on the list.  And that way other people can
> also help.

It's not about private consulting, it's about keeping the Cc list
intact, that is, when replying to messages in public one is supposed
to be using "Group reply"/"Reply all", this way neither the list is
omitted nor the person you reply to, nor all the others who might have
been in the Cc list already but not subscribed to the particular
mailing list. I mean, Luca is talking about the most common regular
way of using mailing lists, nothing special about it.

> > The modem has a lot of weird assistance data stuff that I don't quite
> > understand, partly because - as far as I understand it - some tool is
> > needed to upload the assistance data (which can be downloaded from a
> > website as a file) to the modem and then some AT commands have to be
> > run to use that file.
>
> No modern GPS needs assistance data.  That just speeds up the
> start, which for a new GPS should still be under 2 minutes.

I would speculate assistance data can help a lot when the reception
conditions are too poor (EMI, physical obstacles) for reliable
reception of ephemeris from the sats but good enough to be getting
time signal from them. Am I wrong here?

mailto:address@hidden