gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] report on my build nits
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 11:54:50 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 14:36:32 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> Greg Troxel <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > There seems to be some significant trouble with scons claiming the C
> > compiler doesn't work and writing this in the cache and then
> > believing that after a clean.  I haven't figured that out yet.
>
> After switching to python3.7 and updating my build script to clean
> scons harder, things are back to normal.  I'll just chalk this up to
> scons not having a 100% working "distclean" kind of target that
> really removes all intermediate build state.

Any python after 2.7 should work.  The extended "clean" procedure is
documented in the build.adoc file.

> > The docs are .adoc (peachy) but they refer to other docs as foo.txt.
> > Thanks to completion I merely noticed this.
>
> I just pushed a fix for this.

Thanks!  The adoc transistion has been slow.

> > [python versions]
>
> The docs are clear that either is ok.   My scons problems were
> confounding this.

I test on 2.7 and 3.7.  No problems, so please detailed bug reports.

> > I don't have a binary "python" and set PYTHON=python2.7 in the
> > environment before calling scons.  This used to work fine, and now
> > it doesn't seem to (python not found) -- but lots of things seem
> > odd which is probably just one other issue causing multiple
> > oddnesses.  Has anything changed about this?
>
> It used to be that PYTHON in the environment worked, and now it
> doesn't.

What are you trying to do with the PYTHON variable?  I don't need that
with Gentoo.

> The docs didn't explain the scons target_python option,
> needed to find a python interpreter not named python.

You can't just change the name of the python program, you also, usualy,
need to change the PYTHONPATH.

>  I pushed a doc
> fix that explains this, in the python section of build.adoc.  I am
> now building ok.

Ah, good.  Make me happy that Gentoo makes things easier.

> So other than enforcing version matching on xgps vs gpsd, my issues
> are all cleared up.

Eric keeps insisting no the current behavior.  It does simplify a lot
of things and has quickly identified bad installs.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588