gpsd-dev

Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘timestamp_t is dead. Long live timespec_t

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: [gpsd-dev] ✘timestamp_t is dead. Long live timespec_t
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2019 12:39:00 -0700

Yo Greg!

On Fri, 20 Sep 2019 09:29:27 -0400
Greg Troxel <address@hidden> wrote:

> But, I still don't see how timeval vs timespec is different.  Both use
> time_t, which either is or isn't big enough on any particular system.

timeval is in micro-seconds.  timespec is in nano seconds.

It is easy to run gpsd and ntpd to keep time to under a micro-second, so
timeval is not good enough.

> > The change was finally using timespec exclusively.  Flushing the
> > timestamp_t from the corners.  The code changes from timestamp_t to
> > timespec_t are pretty simple and obvious.
>
> Great - that makes sense.
>
> I ran a build on netbsd-8/amd64 and after dealing with some scons
> lossage (bad cache files), got it to build ok and livetest with a
> ublox 8.

Good.  The .sconsign.dblite is a long standing scons bug, they have
had an open issue on it for a long time.  It is documented in gpsd
build.adoc.

Some suggested adding an atexit) to distclean to handle the issue.

> There seems to be some significant trouble with scons claiming the C
> compiler doesn't work and writing this in the cache and then believing
> that after a clean.  I haven't figured that out yet.

All because of .sconsign.dblite

> I am pretty sure I saw that there were no warnings from building,
> when I managed to get scons to build normally.

Good.

> A few nits:
>
> I think we've talked about this, but xgps and cgpsd from 3.19 fail to
> interoperate with the new gpsd, complaining about version mismatch.

Yup.  Intentional.  Eric wants it that way.  The alternative is
lots of strange hard to diagnose failures.

> Given that they could be on separate machines, and use the client
> protocol, this seems wrong but I'm guessing it's a feature.

Its a feature, at least for people debugging gpsd issues.

> The docs are .adoc (peachy) but they refer to other docs as foo.txt.
> Thanks to completion I merely noticed this.

And thanks for fixing that.  James has been slowly fixing those.

> The other thing I'm unclear on is python 2.7 vs 3.7 (or 3.x, for some
> x at least 6, these days).

They all work for me.  I test then all.

>  I have been having more and more scons
> issues globally because pkgsrc can build either 2.7 or 3.7 scons, but
> they both install "scons" so they conflict,

Gentoo does not have the problem.  So I have no idea what that could be.

> Is gpsd truly agnostic, and is it believed that using 3.7 is 100% ok?

Works for me.  It test 2.7, 3.6 and 3.7 daily.  I'm sure other version
are also tested frequently.

> I don't have a binary "python"

That would be in violation of PEP 394.  Complain to your distro.

> Has anything changed about this?

The PYTHON variable was conflicting with other things, and is not needed
for distros that conform to PEP 394.  So as you noted, now use
the target_python= option to scons.  Thanks for documenting that.

The Python folks are justifiably unhappy when distros change their
packages too not conform to the Python doc.  I feel the same way about
distros that shiup broken gpsd...

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588