gpsd-dev

Re: ZED-F9P and PPP processing

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ZED-F9P and PPP processing
Date: Tue, 5 May 2020 12:28:27 -0700

Yo John!

On Tue, 5 May 2020 15:20:14 -0400
John Ackermann N8UR <address@hidden> wrote:

> As noted in my other message, submitting ZED-F9P GPS-only data to
> NRCan results in a consistently high (could be 20 to 50 percent)
> number of rejected epochs, much greater than other receivers recorded
> using the same antenna at the same time.  I've learned what causes
> this.

Cool.

> The ZED-F9P and -F9T receivers do not do the "old style" (military) L2
> code.  They will only use the "civilian" L2C signal on the later
> generation satellites (IIR-M and later).  On the older satellites
> without L2C, they only do L1.

You have been spoiled!  YOu got to use P(Y)!

AFAIK, only 2 sats (block III) do L2C so far.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_GPS_satellites#Satellites_by_block

> Most processing sites will reject dual-frequency observations that
> only have data for a single channel, so NRCan throws out all the -F9*
> observations from the older satellites.  That results in more epochs
> without enough birds to do a solution.

Should gpsrinex have an option to not include L2C data?

> Turning on GLONASS helps this situation because the added SVs mean
> that more epochs can generate a solution.

Except others have rerported NRCan only uses GLONASS for 8h+ files.
Unconfirmed and of course undocumented.

> So my next step is to set up F9P and F9T with one tracking only GPS,
> and the other both GPS and GLONASS, to compare results.

Looking forward to it.

RGDS
GARY
        address@hidden  Tel:+1 541 382 8588