gpsd-dev

Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘"Sudo? Sudon't!" and "Saving U-blox Configuration"
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:48:15 -0800

Yo Bernd!

On Fri, 15 Jan 2021 17:43:44 +0100
Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:

> On 1/15/21 4:47 PM, Joshua Judson Rosen wrote:
> >> Instead I'd suggest that you check the uid in ubxtool and fail if
> >> somebody tires to run it as root, maybe add a
> >> --yes-i-know-what-i-do flag to force running it as root.
> >
> > Or even specifically check for one of the environment variables that
> > sudo sets
> > to indicate that a process is running under sudo (e.g. SUDO_USER,
> > SUDO_UID, SUDO_GID...)
> > if you really just want people to stop people from using _sudo_
> > specifically....
>
> That makes you look even more silly, as sudo can be used for way more
> than becoming root.

Uh.  Please let us keep the discussion to the specifics at hand:
        running ubxtool under sudo

general sysadmin issues should be discussed elsehere.

> Also if you stop people from using sudo, they'll
> use su - which is a really bad idea. Never enter root passwords in a
> user's shell.

Yeah root passwords are bad.  Much better that no password at all is
required for root operations!  :-)

Sure....

But the point I was making, in the ubxtool examples doc, is that sudo
breaks the ubxtool examples.

That is easy to prove, and a proven problem.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588