gpsd-dev

Re: [Git][gpsd/gpsd][master] Ubuntu has abolished /usr/bin/python, chang

From: Eric S. Raymond
Subject: Re: [Git][gpsd/gpsd][master] Ubuntu has abolished /usr/bin/python, change shebangs to python3.
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2021 07:35:43 -0400

Hal Murray <halmurray+gpsd@sonic.net>:
> When I have problems like this, I manually setup a link in /usr/bin/ from
> python to python3
> I saw mention of using PYTHON=xxx in a previous message.
> Are there other hacks worth mentioning?

I just learned of these:

esr@snark:~/WWW/src$ aptitude search python-is
p   python-is-python2                 - symlinks /usr/bin/python to the
DEPRECATED
v   python-is-python2:any             -

p   python-is-python3                 - symlinks /usr/bin/python to python3

v   python-is-python3:any             -

Not functionally better rthjan making your own symlink, but at least it means
the change is recorded in your packet installs.