gpsd-dev

Re: ✘n2k and issue #176

From: Gary E. Miller
Subject: Re: ✘n2k and issue #176
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2021 19:49:27 -0800

Yo Christian!

On Tue, 14 Dec 2021 16:42:49 +1300
Christian Gagneraud <chgans@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I worked at navico.com and most (all?) of our MFDs do address
> > > claims.
> >
> > If any units don't, then gpsd has to understand that case.
>
> Surely all the important devices do that.

Important is in the eye of the beholder.

> AFAIK, this is the base for
> "source selection".
> eg. check out "source selection" in
> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1039394/Simrad-Nss-Evo2-Series.html?page=25

I see a manual for a windows program, but no protocol details.

> Eg. If there are several devices that provide GPS on n2k, the user
> need to be able to select which one to trust.

gpsd always trusts all it input, subject to checksums, range checks, etc.

In Reinhart's case, he needs them all so he can compute ship angles
(pitch, roll, yaw, etc.).

> I'm not an expert, but if you want some clarification i can ask some
> expert guys at work.

We are not there yet.  Still working on the basic requirements.  We may
follow you up on the offer.

RGDS
GARY
        gem@rellim.com  Tel:+1 541 382 8588