gpsd-dev

Re: ✘gpsd .23.2~rc1

From: Greg Troxel
Subject: Re: ✘gpsd .23.2~rc1
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2022 07:49:53 -0400

I really don't see that this discussion is going in a useful direction.

I see the point about standards compliance.  But for better or for
worse, C programs on x86 often have extra intermediate precision.  Most
of the world thinks that this is not really a bug.

It definitely seems suboptimal to end up with slower code for the sake
of pedantry or accomodating tests.

A question would be if gpsd is getting arguably wrong results (wrong in
a real sense, not a standards nitpicking exact sense) from this, or if
it is just a test issue.  It would seem effort is better spent to enable
tests to be considered passing, when computed with slightly more
precision than the standard says, in the way that 99% of computers
typically do.

Writing a floating point conformance test suite is also a reasonable
thing to do, but I think that's separate from gpsd.