gpsd-dev

Re: Low cost GPS receiver?

From: Chris Kuethe
Subject: Re: Low cost GPS receiver?
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 00:02:31 -0700

I haven't used a serial device in a long time that actually required EIA232 signaling. Everything I've used in the last decade was 5v or 3v. Definitely not to spec, but works far more often than it has any right to. Burning up the pin drivers on a chip that isn't 5v tolerant is another matter, but that's what the datasheet is for. Most devices I use clearly document their absolute maximums: 3.6v for a 3.3v device, or 5.5v if there's likely to be usb nearby (+10%).

If you genuinely do need real EIA232 levels the MAX232 and similar parts have built in charge pumps to generate the required voltages. I'm betting that a pc with a 5v level shifter with work just fine with a GPS.